BHS Art Department Faculty
Mrs. Miller and Ms. Galasso
Phone: 860.828.6577 x1402
Phone: 860.828.6577 x1701
Did You Know?
• The Art Department curriculum is aligned with National Core Art Standards and works to nurture the student’s ability to communicate visually and understand the meaning of images.
• AP Studio Art has been offered since Fall 2011. Within AP Studio Art, students create a Drawing/Painting, 2-D Design or 3-D Design portfolio. Students have the option to submit their portfolio to the AP Board for college credit.
• Honors UConn ECE Drawing has been offered since Fall of 2014. This course counts as 1 UConn college credit on the student’s transcript.
• The curriculum supports the AP Studio Art and UConn classes in that it offers multiple classes in each strand, each with leveled courses in Drawing, Painting, 2D Design, Digital Photography, Digital Art, 3D Design, Jewelry & Metalsmithing and Pottery.
• Consistently over the last 10 years, BHS Art Students have been recognized at the Connecticut Regional Scholastic Art Awards Statewide Competition with 6 Gold Keys, 1 Best in Show and 1 Best in Category, 10 Silver Keys and 10 Honorable Mentions.
• The AP Studio Art and UConn ECE Drawing students each have a show displayed locally in the Spring. Our last show was at the Art League of New Britain!
• Every Spring, Berlin holds their K-12 District-Wide Art Show at the New Britain Museum of American Art.
• The Berlin Art Department K-12 has been actively participating in the “Art Around Town” project where student work is showcased at local businesses. You can find BHS Art at Bill’s Pizza, Suburban Bike, and Dragonfly Gift Shop!
• The Art Department is continually bringing in guest speakers to talk about their careers in the Arts, and colleges to talk about their programs and departments. We also take students on various field trips throughout the year.